Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hello From Mumbai!

Hello Friends and Family,

Jill and I made it to Mumbai safely. Chennai was just like Texas weather but Mumbai is very wet and rainy right now. The train ride was long and quite an experience. Our tickets were canceled before we even came and since we are so new to the process we thought that we could get on. But we ended up buying cheaper tickets to actually get on the train. We rode Sleeper coach and were fairly cramped but the people were so nice they let us use some of there space and even found places for us to sit. We brought food for the train because we were told not to eat the train food. But every time one passed by I wished I could have eaten them. The samosas especally. Much of the country side is farmland with mountains spread out. We regret that we didn't take more pictures. I'll be more on top of taking pictures. The train was fun but we don't really want to do that again. Good memories though.

The family that is taking care of us are friends of Jill, Ashwin and Kavita, and are very kind and welcoming. They are helping us around the city and explore the shops. We had trouble with the internet in Chennai, but we finally found a nearby internet cafe that allows us to update. Today we are preparing for our stay here. The cell phone has been a pain because the system is slow to add new accounts and now that we are in Mumbai, are first SIM doesn't work. We are borrowing one. Nothing in India seems to work without some headaches, some yellng people, and tons of questions on where someplace is.

Jill and I can't get enough of all the variety of food here. Curry, rice, curry, rice, vegetables, chai tea, coffee, curry, rice, ice cream and a truck load of spices. i am kidding though. Every dish we taste is new and exciting. I have still yet to see a conglomorated store. They are all small specialized stores for particular items, like brick, snacks, saris, parts, or phone services.

We stick out alot. Even though we are trying to wear clothes that don't. I would recommend being a foreginer to everyone. You never realise how much one is in the public eye until they are all looking at you.  Jill is getting all the stares though. She's like a supermodel or something over here.

Thank you everyone who is keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. We are visiting the church today where we will be serving in and begining what ever is available.

Peace, love, happiness, and chai,

From Greg

3 comments:

  1. Mom and I are happy you are able to navigate the world of India. Try to pinpoint your locations where you are staying,working,etc. and maybe I can find you on Google Earth. We are starving for information about your trip. Watch out for bedbugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad everything is going well and that you are thoroughly immersing yourself in the culture. Didn't realize they served curry in India (kidding). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are having fun, but we miss you. Hurry home.

    Love you loads,
    Aunt Peggy

    ReplyDelete